Perched on a rocky spur overlooking the Bay of the Saracens, the ancient pre-Romanesque Church of San Lorenzo stands in one of the most evocative places on the
A monastery dedicated to St. Lawrence was established here in the 6th century and later, in 1127, the Benedictine monks of Lerins from nearby France proposed the site of their convent. It was the parish church of Varigotti until 1586 and a cemetery chapel until 1719.
Later a period of slow decline began.
During the Second World War, a bomb from the British Air Force caused the roof to collapse and it was restored a few years later. From the second half of the fifties a priest from Milan, Don Luigi Giussani, often brought his boys there, starting a spiritual journey that over the years would lead to the birth of the church movement "Communion and Liberation". In the 90s it lived a period of long neglect and degradation. Today thanks to the association "Amici di San Lorenzo" the church has been restored and is now one of the most visited places in the town of Varigotti.
The interior today is bare of decorations but contains elements from various periods: the pre-Romanesque wall upstream, a large tomb of abbots, the stoup, and under the floor very ancient ossuaries and tombs. The sacristy built during the Gothic period is remarkable. On several occasions in the past graves from the late Roman period have been found around the church.